Sunday, December 14, 2014

Just a little snowman

I made this last weekend for a guild ornament swap.  So much fun.  Little paper pieced snowman with little tiny stippled quilting in the grey dots.  I used snaps for the eyes.  I think he is a little cross-eyed!

Friday, December 12, 2014


and the winner is...  according to random number generator.... 160

and that is Nicole who lives in Victoria!  Congratulations Nicole, I will send you an email!

And I follow via feedly. Thanks!

Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Finish: Plaid Baby Michael Miller

   Name:  Plaid Baby 
Design:  Scot's Plaid  Block
Size:  36"" by 46""
Fabric: Michael Miller Cotton Couture including the back and scrappy binding
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in wite in straight lines 

I finished this baby quilt on the weekend.  I used the Micheal Miller Cotton Couture Modern Quilt Guild bundle with a bunch of brighter additions.  The block is a traditional block called Scot's Plaid and I tried to have a nice mix of the colours throughout the quilt but I allowed a fair amount of randomness.  Some same colours do touch and at first I was a bit fussed about that and then decided it was just fine.  I had fun with the back.  The colours are really lovely.  And a scrappy binding just for fun.  I have not used these solids much before and they are very lightweight and soft.  Almost drapey.  Lovely colours.   I especially love the darker orange/red.  I think it is called geranium.  Nice!  

The quilting is simple.  I followed the seam lines about 1/4" away and used my favourite Aurifil 50 wt in white.  The quilting resembles the plaid in a away.  Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish it Up Friday.

Don't forget my Sew Mama Sew Giveaway!  One more day!

Monday, December 8, 2014

Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day: December 2014

Oh my goodness!  Welcome to my stop on the Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day!  I have a Cotton and Steel Mustang Maple Squares Charm Pack to giveaway.  Available on in Canada, apparently!  Who knew?  And a lovely spool of Aurifil 50 wt in a very versatile grey to add to the giveaway fun.

This Giveaway is open internationally and all you have to do to enter is
1) leave a comment telling me where you are in the world and
2) followers, new or old, get another chance with a comment about how they follow me.

Please leave your email if you are a no reply blogger (wordpress blogs for instance!)

I will pick a winner on Friday, December 12, 2014 after 5 pm Pacific Daylight Time.  Good luck!

Edited:  The giveaway is now closed.  Thanks everyone!!!!  

Monday, December 1, 2014

Already December?????

How did that happen?  It was summer time just yesterday and now it is December!  I spent Saturday with a bunch of my guild at a curved piecing workshop.  It was great!  And I did pick up a few tricks and that is a good thing.

I made these oven mitts last weekend for Husband.  His oven mitts were looking a little sad and he asked me to mend them.  And I did that but noticed that the batting was starting to be thin and they were definitely worse for wear.  My grey scrap container was overflowing so I made some slab blocks big enough to cut out the oven mitts.  Added some batting and some insulbrite. Quilted it.  Binding and we were good to go.  They have been test driven and he has not burned himself with them so they have passed the test.    Officially, scrap project #3.

Linking up with Leanne for Scraptastic Tuesday!  Don't forget to enter the Sew Mama Sew giveaways!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Works in Progress...

I started doing something with the MQG Michael Miller Cotton Couture challenge bundle.  I am not sure how many of you are familiar with the bundle but it was a selection of muted pastels.  Lovely but not my palette.  I ordered some brighter fabrics and finally took the plunge.  And this is what happened.  A whole lot of little blocks.  It will be a baby quilt.  Nothing too innovative for sure but there it is.

I also started a Christmas gift and this is a sneak peak.  With a monogram on Kraft-Tex no less.  And if you look closely you can see a golden retriever hair in the centre of the photograph.  Good grief.  What a fur ball!

A new thrift store opened up in our town last week.  I went in for a peak and left with 2 hats for my costume box, a bag of buttons all in pinks and some perle cotton.  The pink buttons were awesome with lots of vintage lovely including the buckle and some wonderful pink glass buttons.  Thank you, thrift shop.

And I picked up this amazing calender at the local book shop.  Seriously.  Weeks and Ringle and it comes with all the patterns.  Squeal!  Perfect for my sewing room.

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for Work in Progress Wednesday.  Have a super rest of your day!

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fabric and stuff

I do belong to the best quilt guild (FVMQG) ever.  Truly.  Not at all biased.  We get super involved in the big Creative Stitches Show in Abbotsford each March.  This time around Robert Kaufman is sponsoring a mini quilt challenge.  We need to modern up a traditional block using the super awesome new Kona Cottons and some Architextures by Carolyn Friedlander.  We are very grateful to Robert Kaufman for sponsoring this challenge with free fabric and prizes and now I just have to get busy!

Which brings me to my next point.  Sew Sisters has all the Kona cottons and they have scads of Carolyn Friedlander fabric including her new line Doe.  And it is really lovely.  

Sew Sisters is also gearing up for their Stuff your Stocking Event.  Check it out.  I am off to do just that.