Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pillows are faster than quilts...



I forgot my dear friend's birthday.  Husband phoned me and said you forgot her birthday.  I said something like, "Oh, crap!  I'm a dumbo!"  I phoned immediately and she laughed and told me that I would have all year long to celebrate.  I made her a pillow to match the Fresh Flowers quilt I made for her in June.  I made 4" paper pieced string blocks using the itty bitty scraps I had left from her quilt.  I had to go small because I was working with such small scraps.  I think it looks great!  I like the back too.  I used some fabric from the stash and leftovers from when I made my ironing board cover.  I was really tricky when making the back closure.  I used hair ties as the loop to hook over the buttons!  It looks so cute.  You cannot see it though in the picture.  I love it!!!  And pillows are so much faster to make than quilts!!!


Husband made a carrot cake for her too.  He iced it to match the pillow.  Sweet!  I popped over the deliver the whole works on Saturday morning.  I have a plan for next year so I don't forget.


We had some more excitement here this morning.  Nope, not more beavers chewing down trees and taking out the power.  This was a possibility though and it did cross my mind!  Husband and I were having coffee just after 6  AM this morning.  It was still dark and then we heard a noise.  There was a bang outside and the lights flickered.  Husband went outside to see what was up but he could see nothing in the dark.  About an hour later, I was folding laundry and I could see emergency vehicle lights coming down the road.  This time Husband went out to see what was really going on at the end of our property.  A car had left the side road which has a curve and a steep hill coming to a stop sign before joining our road at an angle.  The car had become airborne and smacked into a power pole before coming to a stop at a very interesting angle. Luckily the driver was not hurt but dazed and confused.  The car was an interesting shape!  The power company has now spent the DAY fixing the power pole and luckily we never lost power because I had a whole lot of sewing to do.  I have 2, count them, 2 quilt finishes this weekend! !

I am going to link up with Sew Modern Monday!!!
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

5 comments:

  1. Cute cushion and great tip about the hair ties for the button loops - now that idea i just might use! Not so cool about the smashed car but at least the driver was okay and not in an interesting shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, that's so true! WAY faster, and probably used just as much. Your pillow looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your pillow turned out wonderfully! i love the tiny strips. i know you had to go small, but i'm glad you did!

    also, the hair elastics idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pillow.. I am sure your friend loves it and I think the cake is match is the "icing" ... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pillow--what a nice gift! :) Thanks for linkging up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete