Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Secret Santa gift...




I made another pillow.  I whipped this up on the weekend for a secret Santa present at work.  I was able to use some of the fabric from the giant estate sale stash of fabric that came my way last fall.  There was a fair pile of Christmas fabric including this snowman print and some coordinating trees.  I had the pillow form already.  16" x 16".  Not a  giant pillow by any means but nice enough for a Christmas snuggle.  I cut some 4"squares.  Made some snazzy half square triangles, stitched them together and slapped on a border.  Here is the funny thing.  My new amazing sewing machine has a built in walking foot system.  It is truly wonderful but the actual foot is bigger than my old walking foot.  It is taking me a bit of time to figure out how and where to line up the seam line for straight line quilting with the walking foot.  I started to quilt the pillow top and thought that the stitching lines were too far from the seam line but it was too late to change it.  The penny dropped or the light bulb went off  midway.   I think I have it figured out now and will line everything up a little differently next time.

The back is a simple envelope closure.  I was able to use up a scrap of binding that was left over from something and a bit of burgundy stars along with the snowman print.  SWEET!

Lots of fun things to look at in blog land as people finish up their Christmas sewing projects.  I even found a wonky little star quilt at Oh Fransson.  Check it out!  Wonky little stars are spreading all over the place.  I am so going to make a wonky star quilt.  It will be my 2012 scrap buster quilt.  I have it all figured out.  It is going to be fabulous!  I may have to actually have a design wall though!  The design bed might not work for this puppy!


And if you have not entered my giveaway or checked out the other giveaways over at Sew Mama Sew, please do!

2 comments:

  1. Love that Santa fabric - make for a cute pillow - also love the wonky star you linked to - really gorgeous - might have to make a scrappy one next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute pillow. That is sure to be a hit.. Love the snowman fabric. I love the wonky stars, too. Haven't ever tried them yet. Maybe when I get all my UFO's finished, I'll get around to it. lol

    ReplyDelete