Friday, February 24, 2012

Vintage sheet love...


I have a friend who wants to try making a quilt with her daughter.  They haven't done anything like this before and I was asked for some advice.  It is a little tricky to give all the information about everything, even where to buy fabric and what to look for when they haven't done anything like this before.  Then I had a bit of a brainwave and suggested that she make her first quilt with some vintage sheets.  It is a win win all around.  Firstly, I can share which means no cost.  Secondly, no pressure, because the vintage sheets are cheap and in this case free!  They can figure out if this is something they like to do and then spend the money on quilting cotton for the next try. 

I put together a stack of vintage sheets chunks last evening.  I say chunks because they are not fat quarters, more like half yards.  I found a quilting book that I got at the estate sale last fall, with a good basic instruction section too and added that to the pile.  I think they will have some fun!  They are going to make the top and then ask for the next step.  I so hope they have fun!

Have a super rest of your day!

3 comments:

  1. I bought a pretty blue and white vintage sheet today at an estate sale. Hopefully, one of these days it will be the backing on a vintage sheet quilt made with all of the FQ's I traded last year. Aren't they fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good friend to have Cathy! SO lovely of you to share some of your sheets but it feels good to share doesn't it! Happy stitching for them and for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is so lucky to have a friend like you that is willing to Share the love of quilting/sewing with her. Vintage sheets have some of the best patterns. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete