Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Wedding Quilt Reveal...


Here is is!  This quilt came from an idea.  The bride thought it would be fun to have her friends and family make quilt blocks and then have a quilt made.  The bride just needed a quilter and that was me.  I came up with an easy block for non-quilters, wrote a tutorial and the bride sent out the instructions.  We limited the colours to shades of purple and green which were the colours for the wedding.  Blocks began arriving in the mail.  Lots of blocks!  And I can finally show it off because the wedding was yesterday and it was lovely.

After committing to the idea, I have to say I was a bit worried.  Worried that I would not be able to put it together in a way that was cohesive.  Worried that I would not get enough blocks to make a quilt.  Just worried.  Silly me!  It looks so wonderful and vibrant.

Several blocks have lovely fabric choices to reflect the block maker or to bring a smile to the bride and groom.  I have some great in progress photos to share tomorrow.  Let's just call it extreme quilting!

Quilted with straight lines on either side of the blocks in Aurifil 50 wt in purple and diagonally through each block in both directions.  Got to love my hera marker!!!!  Lots of extra blocks made the back go together nicely including a block that was embroidered by the bride's grandmother with their names and wedding date.  So sweet!

I will pop the block tutorial up tomorrow because I put a lot of extra details in for non-quilters.  It is a great block for a new quilter!

Have a look!  I have to say it looks just splendid on the barn wall!
Quilt Stats
Name:  The Wedding Quilt
Size:  72" x 72"
Designed by:  Me
Blocks Constructed by:  Friends and Family of the Bride and Groom
Quilted by:  Me





Linking up with Sew Modern Monday and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story!!

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt. What a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. Great colors.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! She will treasure this one! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks just fantastic. Love the colours - reminds me of violets! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - it is stunning! Fabulous idea too.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful.....the colors of my bedroom when I was a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun, and so nice for memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, WOW, that is an awesome idea I can't believe how many people sent blocks, that's amazing! I'd love to do something like that for my upcoming wedding.. I had thought about asking people to give me some fabric, like scraps from old clothes or whatever they had laying around, and doing something scrappy. I love how this one turned out! So pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy! Your quilt is so beautiful! I love the pattern and those adorable colours! You have also wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea, hats off to you for a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors, and especially the idea! You did an amazing job getting it to work so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors in this quilt! Purple and green, one of my favorite combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with this idea! It is such a fun way to have a piece of your loved ones with you.

    ReplyDelete