Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Blueberries on the floor and other musings...


So we are seeing a lot of these lately.  We are experiencing a bumper crop.  We have also had no rain.  This makes for happy blueberries.  So we pick and then pick some more.  Today we had some u-pickers.  That was interesting.  The little boys, who came with their mom, got into the ditch beside the blueberries and were top to toe in black peat mud.  I hosed them off.  With their mom's permission.  But I digress.  This is the time of year where blueberries are often found on the floor in the kitchen.  It just happens.  

We are rather new to the whole business of blueberries and as we bought an established farm, we don't have any information about the actual varieties so we make up names.  We really like picking marble berries.  They are big, round and tasty.  But the best berries are the cake berries.  They are HUGE!!!!!  I put them next to our now defunct Canadian penny.  That is a marble berry on the far right.  The cake berries are on the left.  They are they best.



The recipe from yesterday...
Let them eat cake
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen  (the original recipe asks for 1 and 1/2 cups of blueberries but we kinda think go big or go home)

In a large bowl, cream shortening and add sugar gradually.  Add egg.  Mix the dry ingredients.  Add to batter along with the milk, vanilla and blues.  Pour the batter into an 8" by 8" pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 to 55 minutes, less if you are skimpy on the blues.  Or if you are feeling so inclined, pop them into cupcake papers and make 8 jumbo to die for blueberry cupcake muffins.  Oh my goodness.  So fabulous.  Bake those for about 40 minutes but watch them.

So there.  Check the floor after baking.  Blueberries just have a way of landing there and trust me, they aren't pretty when you step on them.  Ick.

Linking up with Cindy at Random Thursday.

12 comments:

  1. Those cake berries are HUGE!!!! YUM!!!! And thanks for the recipe.....I'm making these tomorrow! Woohoo! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you to live amongst the berries! I love all berries and even have a special handmade pottery bowl for eating mine out of! Now I need to find some fresh blueberries here in NB! That recipe looks pretty yummy - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Now to find some of those delicious berries! Those berries are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Those are some luscious looking berries.
    The recipe looks yummy. I wish I had on oven so I could bake one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I ask the name of your company? I'd like to buy them when I see them in stores. We love blueberry muffins too! Your quilt in the previous post is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those look great. Can I buy BC blueberries in Winnipeg? So far I've only seen product of the US here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, your blueberries are HUGE! Lucky gal. I hope you're going to share some next week at the mtg? See yah soon.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmm, blueberries! Pie would be good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it evil for me to say that I don't really care for blueberries in their natural state?? ;) Blueberry desserts on the other hand though.....mmmmmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I envy you haveing all those blueberry bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!! & holy moly those berries are huge!
    If you have any leftovers I'll gladly take 'em off your hands wink wink!
    Our Charlie loves them too so he gets the extra ripe ones, and if one rolls away he's on it, good clean up crew lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I wish I was your neighbor so I could stop and visit! Your home sounds and looks so inviting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete