Sunday, October 13, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving, Marvin!



Meet Marvin, the teenager bear.  He was checking out all the pillowcases on the clothesline.  Earlier in the morning, I was looking out the window admiring all the birdies flying around in the fall sky.  I was still in my jammies and I didn't have my glasses on yet.  I was being quite lazy.  My gaze wandered over to the bird feeder which is about 10 feet from the house.  I thought, why is there a man at the bird feeder?  It was an odd thought.  I almost voiced it to husband when the "man" at the bird feeder turned slightly and I had a view of Marvin's very bear like nose as he munched some sunflower seeds from the bird feeder.  He was standing on his back legs with his front paws resting on the bird feeder.  It was then that I hollered that Marvin was at the bird feeder!  Husband sprang into action and grabbed the air horn while I yelled at Marvin from the house.  It was most exciting in a close encounter with a bear kind of way.

Marvin went off into the woods and we thought that would be that.  It wasn't.  The whole time I was hanging the pillowcases on the line, I could hear crashing and stick crunching in the woods.  I went into the bedroom for something only to see Marvin in the back yard.  I insisted that Husband let me take some pictures before he blasted him with the air horn again.  The really scary thing is that when Husband went out into the yard with  air horn, he saw Marvin but he also saw Edwina, Marvin's mother, at the compost.  She is a MUCH bigger bear and was MUCH more frightened of the air horn.  Thank goodness!!!



...after the air horn, all you can see is a black blob in the flower bed.    He was actually peeking at Husband from the shelter of the shrubs before he took off through the woods.

Oh my goodness.  Happy Thanksgiving, Marvin and Edwina.


9 comments:

  1. Wow! Exciting day you had there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness! A closer encounter than I want. Hopefully Marvin and Edwina understand that you are a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave! I would have been scared to go out and hang anything on the lines after a bear sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes Cathy, you now have 2 bears....okay, where is papa bear? Hmm, maybe he's not far away either. Don't go playing little red riding hood anytime to soon, eh girl. Be careful.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, who knew hanging out washing could be so exciting/dangerous??

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a really beautiful bear! I think you need a taller bird feeder . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Hope they don't visit too often!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, and I thought going outside to find snakes was scary!

    ReplyDelete