Monday, August 21, 2017

BC Wildfire Community Quilts Project

  Name: Using it up
Design: Side braid by Jeni Baker.  
Size: 56" by 68"
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in white on either side of each square
Binding and Backing:  Blue and white print from the stash and backed with an Ikea sheeting
This summer, British Columbia has been hit extremely hard with forest fires.  Fires so bad that many people have been evacuated including the entire towns of both Cache Creek, 100 Mile House and Williams Lake to name a few.  Many of the alerts have now been cancelled but British Columbia remains in a state of emergency as a result of the wide spread fire action across the province.  Sadly, a large number of homes have been lost in the wildfire action.   I grew up in the Cariboo and the fires came close to the ranch where I lived.  I felt a great need to do something.   A group of quilters started a relief community quilting project with the idea of providing comfort quilts to those impacted by the fires.

I made three donation quilts for this project and they are currently in the mail and on the way.  Our guild, The Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild, has quite an active community quilts, charity quilt giving group always on the go.  I used some donated fabric and batting and supplemented from my stash to make these quilts.  Charity quilting is a great way to use up some lingering fabric and bits of stuff.  All three quilts were quilted with my go to thread, Aurifil 50 wt in white.  I hope that these will bring some comfort to help.  

  Name: Just a bit bright
Design: St. Louis 16 Patch (tutorial at Sew with Sass)
Size: 55" by 70"
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in white on the diagonal
Binding and Backing:  stash fabrics

Design: Inspired by a quilt found on Pinterest by Kati Spencer and published in Scraps INc.
Size: 48" by 54'
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in white
Fabric:  Various prints and Kona White

1 comment:

  1. What lovely quilts! These will make some people very happy.
    I never heard of the region Cariboo, so I googled it. It sounds fascinating. I've been to BC, but never off the coast.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete